120 ZERO CARB FOODS LIST and ALMOST ZERO CARB FOODS LIST
The first couple weeks of a low carb diet are called Atkins Induction. This beginning phase allows you to consume certain foods. Induction food with boost your diet and allow you to lose fat at a faster pace.
Consume these induction foods for the first two weeks of your diet. Many people tend to consume these foods for many weeks to lose as much weight as they can.
Meat, Fish, Poultry
Meat, poultry and seafood dont tend to have carbs. There are only two that are usually starchy which are processed bacon and deli meat. Make sure to check the labels when you shop.
- Meats: Bacon, Beef, Ham, Lamb, Pork, Veal, Venison
- Fish: Flounder, Herring, Salmon, Sardines, Sole, Tuna, Trout
- Shellfish: Clams, Crab, Mussels, Oysters, Shrimp, Squid
- Fowl: Cornish Hen, Chicken, Duck, Goose, Pheasant, Quail, Turkey
Eggs are a staple Atkins Induction food. Try them deviled, fried in butter, hard boiled, poached or scrambled. Soon, you will be able to do them 1,000 ways.
There are many different cheeses that contain less than 1 gm of carbs per ounce, make sure to always check the labels.
You are allowed 3 to 4 ounces of cheese a day during Atkins Induction. This includes cream cheese.
The exceptions: Cottage Cheese, Farmer’s Cheese and other fresh/raw cheeses. These cheeses do not apply to the 3 to 4 ounce rule because they only have trace amounts of carbs.
Type, Serving Size, Net Carbs
- Blue Cheeses, 1 oz, 0.7
- Cheddar, ½ cup, 0.0
- Cow, Sheep and Goat, 1 oz, 0.3
- Cream Cheese, 1 oz, 0.8
- Feta, 1 oz, 1.2
- Gouda, 1 oz, 0.6
- Mozzarella, 1 oz, 0.6
- Parmesan, 1 tbs, 0.2
- Swiss, 1 oz, 1.0
During Atkins Induction, 12 to 15 net carbs each day should come from low carb vegetables.
Try to choose the lowest carb veggies from the Atkins Induction food list during your first two weeks on the low carb diet.
Lowest Carb Veggies for Atkins Induction
(Veggie, Serving Size/Prep, Net Carbs)
- Alfalfa Sprouts, 1 cup/raw, 0.4
- Argula, ½ cup/raw, 0.2
- Bok Choy, 1 cup/raw, 0.8
- Celery, 1 stalk, 0.8
- Chicory Greens, ½ cup/raw, 0.6
- Chives, 1 tbs, 0.1
- Cucumber, ½ cup, 1.0
- Daikon, ½ cup, 1.0
- Endive, ½ cup, 0.0
- Escarole, ½ cup, 0.0
- Fennel, 1 cup, 3.6
- Iceberg Lettuce, ½ cup, 0.1
- Jicama, ½ cup, 2.5
- Mushrooms ½ cup, 1.2
- Parsley, 1 tbs, 0.1
- Peppers, ½ cup/raw, 2.3
- Radicchio, ½ cup/raw, 0.7
- Radishes, 10/raw, 0.9
- Romaine Lettuce, ½ cup, 0.2
Lower Carb Veggies for Atkins Induction
These vegetables contain a little higher carbs than the lowest carbs above, if you measure these correctly, you can add them to your diet.
Vegetable, Serving Size/Prep Net Carbs
- Artichoke, ¼ of medium/boiled, 4.0
- Artichoke Hearts, 1/in water, 1.0
- Asparagus, 6 spears/boiled, 2.4
- Avocado, 1 whole/raw, 3.5
- Bamboo Shoots, 1 cup/boiled, 1.1
- Beets, ½ cup/canned, 4.7
- Broccoli, ½ cup/boiled, 1.6
- Broccoli, ½ cup/raw, 1.0
- Broccoli rabe, 1 ounce, 1.3
- Broccoflower, ½ cup, 1.4
- Brussels Sprouts, ¼ cup boiled, 2.4
- Cabbage, ½ cup/boiled or raw, 2.0
- Cauliflower, ½ cup/boiled or raw, 1.0
- Chard, ½ cup Swiss/boiled, 1.8
- Collard Greens, ½ cup/boiled, 4.2
- Eggplant, ½ cup boiled/raw, 1.8
- Hearts of Palm, 1 heart, 0.7
- Kale, ½ cup, 2.4
- Kohlrabi, ½ cup, 4.6
- Leeks, ¼ cup/boiled, 1.7
- Okra, ½ cup/boiled or raw, 2.4
- Olives, green, 5, 2.5
- Olives, black, 5, 0.7
- Onion, ¼ cup/raw, 2.8
- Pumpkin, ¼, cup/boiled, 2.4
- Rhubarb, ½ cup, unsweetened, 1.7
- Sauerkraut, ½ cup canned/drained, 1.2
- Peas, ½ cup edible podded, 3.4
- Spaghetti Squash, ½ cup/boiled, 2.0
- Spinach, ½ cup/raw, 0.2
- Summer Squash, ½ cup/boiled, 2.0
- Tomato, 1 raw, 4.3
- Turnips, ½ cup/boiled, 2.2
- Water Chestnuts, ½ cup/canned, 6.9
- Zucchini, ½ cup sautéed, 2.0
Spices and Herbs
Spice/Herb, Serving Size: 1 tbsp, Net Carbs: 0
- Cayenne Pepper
Salad Dressings and Garnishes
If you go for a dressing that isnt one of the ones below, make sure to go for one that’s less than 2 net carbs a serving.
Dressing, Serving Size, Net Carbs
- Blue Cheese, 2 tbs, 2.3
- Caesar, 2 tbs, 0.5
- Italian, 2 tbs, 3.0
- Lemon Juice, 2 tbs, 2.8
- Oil and Vinegar, 2 tbs, 1.0
- Ranch, 2 tbs, 1.4
Food, Serving Size, Net Carbs
- Crumbled Bacon, 3 slices, 0.0
- Diced Hard-Boiled Egg, 1 egg, 0.0
- Sautéed Mushrooms, ½ cup, 1.0
- Sour Cream, 2 tbs, 1.2
Fats and Oils
There isnt any net carbs here, a single serving is 1 tablespoon.
- Mayonnaise (Select full fat with no added sugar.)
- Olive oil
- Coconut Oil
- Vegetable Oils: Canola, Walnut, Soybean, Grape Seed, Sesame, Sunflower, Safflower
Dr. Atkins suggest drinking eight, 8 oz glasses of water every day. Soda water or carbonated water with sugar-free flavors are ok, and diet sodas sweetened with sucralose (Splenda) are also acceptable.
- Clear Broth/Bouillon (Check for added sugar.)
- Cream: Heavy or Light
- Coffee and Tea: Decaffeinated or Regular
- Club Coda
- Diet Soda (Check the label for carbs.)
- Flavored Seltzer (Must be zero carb.)
- Herb Tea (No barley or fruit sugar added)
- Water: Filtered water, Mineral water, Spring water, Tap water
Dr. Atkins prefers sucralose (Splenda), but small amounts (2 to 3 servings) of saccharine (Sweet N Low) are also allowed.
Type, Serving Size, Net Carbs
- Splenda: (sucralose) 1 packet, 1 net carb
- Sweet N Low: (saccharine) 1 packet, 0.9 net carbs
Foods Not Allowed on Induction
Basically, here’s the rule: If it’s not on the Induction foods list, you guessed it – it’s not allowed.
Don’t Eat these Foods on Induction
- Grains and anything made with them, including bread, cake, pastries.
- Pasta, or anything else made of flour.
- Dairy products (milk, coffee creamers, yogurt) – except for cheese and heavy cream in limited quantities.
- Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, beets, corn.
- Fruits/Fruit Juice
- Deli Salad (Sliced deli meat has added sugar and starch.)
- Any Processed Food
- Alcoholic Beverages