The Reason Why The Leg Cramps During The Night And How To Stop This Forever
Many people have experienced with leg cramps or nocturnal leg cramps that occur while sleeping. The pain can be so severe that it will wake you up while you’re sleeping from prolonged inactivity. It usually occurs on the lower part of the leg but can occur o the feet and tights. The pain can last for a few seconds or it can last all night long. Even once the pain is gone there’s still muscle soreness that can keep you up all night and the next day as well. This is equal between men and women as they both can be affected by this.
Nocturnal cramps and restless leg syndrome (RLS) happen overnight which is the only similarity between these two conditions. There are various differences between leg cramps at night and restless leg syndrome, as:
- When you move the leg in RLS you feel relive – you shouldn’t move the leg in nocturnal leg, instead stretching is recommended.
2. RLS does not cause pain or cramping, while nocturnal leg cramps do.
3. RLS is more of a discomfort or crawling feeling in your legs.
4. If you suffer from RLS you will want to move the legs, while nocturnal leg cramps prevent movements.
The reason and cause of nocturnal leg cramps is still undiscovered, but potential causes and risk factors are:
• Standing on concrete floors for a long period.
• Over exertion of the muscles
• Sitting for a long period
• Sitting in a bad position
• Drinking alcohol
Medical conditions, too, can cause nocturnal leg cramps, such as:
• Parkinson’s Disease
• Endocrine disorders
• Structural disorders
• Diuretics, statins, beta agonists
• Neuromuscular disorders
Treatment and prevention
To treat theses leg cramps you have to find the cause of them and you need to make sure your not suffering from magnesium or potassium deficiency because it cause muscle cramping as well.
• First you need to make sure you stretch your legs before going to sleep
• Try some water exercises to strengthen your legs
• Wear shoes that are ergonomic and don’t wear high heels
• Relax, by taking a warm bath before going to bed and loosen your muscles
• Place warm pad over the affected area
• If you wouldn’t mind try acupuncture treatment
What to do when spasms happen
It is very important to know what to do when the spasm suddenly happens during the night. You can relieve pain in the moment and afterwards. Below, there are a few tips how to help you in those moments:
1. Put your both legs in front you while you are sitting on the floor. Then bend your feet and point your toes toward your knees – you may need to pull on your feet to stretch out better.
2. Get up slowly and turn around a bit – shaking your legs can likewise improve blood flow.
3. Carefully rub the region with circular movements.
4. Consume a tablespoon of yellow mustard to relieve discomfort.